We have all seen wreaths throughout the year on doors of many homes. Wreaths have many purposes, decorative being the most popular, but there is actually a history. Wreath history goes back to ancient times, beginning with fabric headbands adorned with jewels, or wreaths of laurel leaves being used to crown victors of Olympic Games. Another is the advent wreath for religious celebrations. For this post we are going to stick with the use of Evergreens symbolizing the continuance of life through the winter. We will be using silk flowers for this floral arrangement, so you can enjoy it year after year.

I love making wreaths as gifts for friends and family. They are very easy and very pretty. You can make an expensive looking wreath for a few dollars. I like to shop around for my supplies hitting the local Craft Stores for their sales. A.C. Moores, Jo Ann Fabrics and Michael's are my usual stops. Michael's has a better quality silk flower. It's a little more expensive, but their wreaths are usually on sale for $2.50 which is very cool.

To begin, I always gather up my supplies and tools to be a bit organized. This wreath will be basic red and green with a little touch of gold. I always like to mention, BE CAREFUL! The glue is very hot and can cause burns. I like to keep a bowl of ice water next to me when I am using my glue gun. If it gets on you, quickly dip hand or fingers in bowl. It takes the heat away quickly, reducing the degree of the burn. I have scars from hot glue accidents. Not pretty. I have actually dipped my glued up fingers in my cold drink before when I forgot my ice water. Another glue stick tip: when finished making your item, go over it with the hair dryer. This eliminates the spider webs from the glue.

Basic Wreath Recipe

1 Wreath (24")

1 Silk Poinsettia Bush

Ribbon (Wired is the best in my opinion. It holds its shape.)

Glass Christmas Ornaments (I prefer glass to plastic because there are no seams in them that make them look cheap.)

Berries or Floral Picks

Lights (optional)


Tools:

Scissors

Wire Cutters

Glue gun or pot (I use a glue pot when I am making many items and have a lot of gluing and sticking to do.)

Spool Wire

I like to keep to a specific theme or color, not all thrown together so your eye can focus on it without being pulled in to many directions. I begin with the bow. I make mine by hand, very easy with a little practice, that will be another post on its own. After I make the bow and attach it to the wreath, I set out my florals, ornaments, berries or floral pics. I start by cutting apart my Poinsettia bush, leaving at least 2 inches of stem under the flower to glue into the wreath. I glue in the Poinsettias first since they are the largest item. Then I add my next set of items like the floral picks then the glass ornaments and so on. When I am finished gluing in all my pieces, I add a string of 50 white mini lights to it. This is easy to do. With the plug end at the top by the bow, I weave the lights around the decorations, making my way around the wreath. I finish the lights back at the top, where I began. I always add my lights after I decorate so they are easy to remove when they need to be replaced. Lights are optional, some people don't care for them. When that is finished, I add some extra ribbon through it to bring it all together. Very easy and very elegant.

It is a great gift for friends and family. You can find out what they like and what colors they are using in their home to decorate and make the wreath to complement what they already have. Different themes work well also. Enjoy!

The following pictures show the different steps.