Nothing in the world like an afghan from Grandma. Sure they are a similar stitch you have seen before, but in Grandmas, you can see the love. Wrap it around you, and it feels like Grandma is giving you a hug. They are a treasure. I cherish every one she ever made for me. If this was a Grandma blog I could go on forever. She was awesome, and still is to me. I wish I knew how many she made over the years. I am sure the yarn could wrap around the earth at least twice.

Even after she passed, my new born children were brought home in their own "Grandma B" afghan. I remember crying in the hospital to my mom, after my 3rd child was born. (She died earlier that year.) Telling her how Michael won't be coming home wrapped in one. Well much to my surprise, Grandma, in her infinite wisdom, already had one made for him. She had it tucked away in the attic for me, just in case. I think I cried even more when I saw it. When I had #4, there was an afghan for him too. Apparently she made a few, just in case. She even had a box full of doilies made for me, for when I had a bigger house.

I can still see her sitting in her favorite chair, crocheting Barbie clothes for me. She would make me headbands to wear in my hair, ponchos, vests, booties and more. I thought they were the greatest things she ever made. I finally asked her one day to teach me. I must say, I didn't know Grandmas could lose patience with their sweet granddaughters so quickly. She kept telling me "No! not that way." and "Your stitch is to tight." She would rip out what I did and start it over. Her joy of passing along her craft was soon forgotten. I think she was thrilled when I gave up. She was able to relax and enjoy it again. Every afghan I ever started, she finished. I still have her crocheting needles someplace around here. When I find them, I am going to give it another shot. It wont be the same, since she isn't her to yell at me anymore, but I am determined to complete one on my own in her honor.

Her favorite pattern was "Birds of Paradise", as shown in this picture. She would crochet them in any color you wanted, usually two. I am having one heck of a time finding this pattern online. If anyone has a clue, please leave a comment I would love to see it. Not being a crocheter, I am not sure what all her patterns were called. There was a zig zag, a clamshell, one with long rows and tassels. Many others too. Some of my favorite afghans were the ones that she made from all her left over yarn. Multi colored is an understatement. They ended up pretty funky looking.

She always used Red Heart yarn. She would save the label and search for a certain dye-lot when she needed more. Now I see they have "no dye-lot" yarn. She would have loved that. When she would give someone an afghan she would always include a Red Heart label so they would have the washing instructions. She always said Red Heart held up the best. You didn't get fuzz balls after washing it.

This post is more like a tribute to my Grammy. I couldn't help myself. The joy over the years with her is priceless. Now we have her heirlooms to enjoy and remember her with, and we can still feel her love. You all go out and crochet an afghan for someone special, so they have something to wrap themselves in when they want to have you near. I think I just might go wrap myself in one now. Happy Holidays!